6 oz (175g) self raising flour
1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
3 oz (75g) soft butter
4 oz (110g) brown sugar
1 tablespoon treacle
1 heaped tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 large granny smith apple, cored and chopped small
3/4 cup chopped dates
4 oz warm water
- Sift flour, spices, baking powder and bicarbonate into a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, butter, sugar, treacle and freshly grated ginger.
- Whisk everything together with a hand whisk gradually adding the water until you have a smooth mixture.(It’s quite runny and sometimes I don't use it all.)
- Finally fold in the apple and dates.
- Pour mixture into greased individual pudding basins – muffin pans are OK too.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until the puddings are firm and springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5-10 minutes.Then run a thin knife around the edges of the tins and turn them out.
- Allow puddings to get completely cold and then keep them in clingfilm until you need them.
- Serve with hot caramel sauce and ice cream.
Equal proportions of butter, brown sugar and pouring/whipping cream.(Say half a cup of each.) Gently melt together sugar and butter until all granules are dissolved.Add cream and heat through.Can be made in advance and heated up later.